Tuesday 15 January 2013

Healthy Homemade Work Snacks

In a previous post I wrote about my experience with graze, a company who send out small snack sizes of food to your work or home address.  I tried it out for three weeks and ordered a total of 6 boxes. Overall the snacks were OK, some I wouldn't order again and some I loved! I told you that I would be trying out my own ideas of small snacks as this way I can control the portion sizes and the ingredients used. My two favourites to date are houmous and carrot sticks and guacamole and crisp breads.

To make your own houmous, blend together a small can of chick peas (drained, juice reserved), a tablespoon of tahini, juice of half a lemon, ½ teaspoon of cumin and a little of the drained liquid. Blend to your desired consistency adding more of the reserved liquid. This made me three portions. Serve with carrot sticks and crunch to your hearts content.

For this batch I also added a small handful of shredded basil leaves. You can really add anything you like once you have the basic recipe. Try adding roasted peppers or carrots for a difference. 


To make your own guacamole, mash an avocado with the juice of ½ a lemon, this will stop the avocado going brown. Finely chop 1 tomato and a small onion and add to the mashed avocado. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix thoroughly. Serve with crispbreads. This can also be served with tortilla chips, or as an accompaniment to any Mexican meal. 
Enjoy!

Have you got any ideas for healthy portable homemade snacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x