Tuesday 5 March 2013

Baked Tofu - The Happy Herbivore

Two days ago, I told you that I was going to give a few recipes a go from one of the nine vegan cookbooks I own. I chose The Happy Herbivore cookbook because it is illustrated beautifully and you can see what your recipe should look like when you're finished. Strangely though the two recipes I chose hadn't got a photograph!

I chose Baked Tofu and Mustard BBQ Sauce. The BBQ Sauce called for ready prepared yellow mustard and all I had in my store cupboard was English Mustard powder, which I used. Boy this sauce was way too hot for me! Thinking about it now I think the yellow mustard the book was referring to was American mustard which I believe isn't as hot as English mustard. You live and learn! I diluted some of the BBQ sauce with hot water and marinated my pressed tofu in it for most of the day. I used my 9 vegan cookbooks as a weight for when I was pressing the tofu, see they've come in handy already!

Whilst the marinated tofu was baking in the oven, I wondered what I could serve with it as the BBQ sauce was too hot as an accompaniment. I still had some Broccoli & Cauliflower bake left over so that was it for the veg, I just needed something else...............

I had a little mash potato left over in the fridge which I'd made with vitalite and soy milk, but it needed sprucing up. I added chopped onion, a little of the mustard BBQ sauce and some of the remaining grated 'cheese'I used for the Broccoli and Cauliflower bake. After stirring both the onion and 'cheese' through I microwaved on high for 2 minutes and stirred through again.

The photograph really doesn't give the food much justice but believe me it was tastier than it looked! Now I must add that camera to my birthday list!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x