Monday 4 March 2013

Cauliflower & Broccoli Bake

Well I didn't get round to cooking something from one of my 9 vegan cookbooks tonight!

All I fancied tonight was a plate full of vegetables, but my taste buds needed tantalising and a plate of cooked vegetables on their own just wasn't that appealing. In my days pre-vegan, one of my favourite dishes was cauliflower cheese, I couldn't get enough of it. I really was addicted to cheese! My Nan, bless her cotton socks was the best cauliflower cheese maker in the WORLD! Nothing ever came close that I made or indeed anyone else. The recipe was never passed on and we will never know what she did to make it so tasty. No-one can put their finger on the secret ingredient. My Mum has come close but never quite close enough. Since I've transferred to a vegan diet I no longer eat cauliflower cheese for obvious reasons but I still crave my Nan's dish! The reminiscing of Nan and her infamous cauliflower cheese dish had wet my appetite, I needed to veganise this dish and that's what I did!

Ingredients
Cauliflower
Broccoli
1 tsp Swiss vegetable bouillion powder
400ml soy milk
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp vitalite
2 tsp English Mustard
4-6 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Black Pepper
Non dairy cheese-grated

Method
Turn on your oven to pre-heat at 180°C. Dissolve the vegetable bouillion powder in a saucepan of hot water and bring to the boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the vegetables have cooked and still have a little bite. Transfer to an oven dish.

Meanwhile pour the milk into another saucepan and add the vitalite and flour, whisk over a low heat until the vitalite has melted and the flour has been whisked in with no lumps. Add the English mustard and stir through. As the liquid starts to thicken add the nutritional yeast and whisk. Have a quick taste and add more mustard, nutritional yeast as required. Add the black pepper whisking all the time. Once the mixture has reached the desired thickness to your liking pour over the cauliflower and broccoli. Grate over the non dairy cheese of your choice. I used cheesly melting (non dairy & non soy). Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Serve with a garden salad, mash potato or chips and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x