Saturday 14 June 2014

Fresh Vegan Magazine & Gardening

I can't believe this is my first post since I shared my June Menu board, time has flown by. So what have I been up to you ask, why no recipes? In a word "gardening"!

I don’t have a massive garden at all, it’s more of a postage stamp in comparison to my family and friends gardens but I have made room for two raised beds. 

Each bed is 1.8m x 1.8m providing me with 9 individual smaller plots totaling eighteen 0.6m x 0.6m plots where I grow different fruit, salad and vegetables. I've also turned my borders into herb gardens and I have collected many different sized pots over the years which are dotted around the garden, where there is space!

Throughout the summer I very rarely have to buy additional salad and vegetables, my small garden provides enough for my husband and me. Any gluts I have, I simply trade for something else that is grown at a friend’s allotment or in my parent’s garden.

Gardening is a great hobby, which takes as much time as you want to give it, but the more time you put in the bigger the reward. Gardening is also a great form of exercise and it gets you outside in the sunshine topping up
your vitamin D. 


You don’t need a big garden to grow your own, and remember the bigger your plot the more time it will require. Even small patios can provide fresh salad, vegetables and fruit.  

Everyone should grow some food themselves, it is cheaper, tastier and so much fresher. You really can’t beat wandering out into your garden, harvesting something you've grown and turning into a meal and all within minutes.

Go on give it a try. Gardening is much easier than you think, most plants look after themselves! If you haven’t got a garden, don’t fret, a few plants on your windowsill will provide for you, or just sprout some seeds, full of health benefits. Once you've grown something there is no looking back, nature is such a miracle worker.

For more information on my gardening adventures check out my article in the June issue of Fresh Vegan magazine.

You can view a sample of the magazine or you can purchase a download copy to keep forever. Go on treat yourself and see what my "crop of the month" is. Click on the link below:

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a postage stamp garden too, before that it was window box herb growing, and in my last home it was pots and a tiny plot, now I have a proper garden. It will come to you in time too, enjoy your lovely growing space for now x what is the 5th picture? Is it chicory, looks amazine. I don't have many salads growing in my garden so will look out to get more. Also well done Jasmine for getting an article into a magazine, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaheen! Thanks for your comment and you're right the 5th picture is Chicory Red Treviso. You can't beat growing your own can you - once you've got the bug its there for life :o)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x