Friday 12 September 2014

Smokey Pattypan & Tarragon Soup

Smokey Pattypan & Tarragon Soup and Vegan Mofo Day 12
It's just a quick one tonight! I've had one hectic week at work and I didn't finish till late tonight, so after a quick pit stop at Sainsbury's on the way home to pick up some vegan ice-cream I'm finally home. Phew! I couldn't go without ice-cream now I have a freezer could I?

I've got a hectic weekend planned too, but I'm hoping to make up for all that lost cooking time last weekend, sometime over the next two days. My garden needs some attention too and from a quick check this morning there is still lots of vegetables to harvest. I need to get my thinking cap on with how I'm going to use it all. My new freezer is already full of my garden produce!

Ingredients

Splash of Olive oil
1 Onion, diced
3 Garlic, crushed
800g Pattypan, cubed (once I'd removed the seeds this weighed 675g)
1 Tsp Mustard powder
1½ Tsp Smoked paprika
500ml Vegetable stock
115g Chick peas, cooked
75g Cashews
1 Sprig fresh tarragon

Method

In a heavy base saucepan saute the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes or until translucent, add the garlic and saute for another minute.

Add the pattypan and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, stirring all the time to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan. If it does start to stick then add a splash of the vegetable stock.

Sprinkle over the mustard powder and smoked paprika and stir so that it coats the vegetables. Add the vegetable stock and chick peas and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until the pattypan pieces are cooked. Don't let them go to a mush, we want a little bite still.

Transfer the mixture to a blender, you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Add the cashews and tarragon and blend until silky smooth. 

Garnish with tarragon leaves and a grind of black pepper


4 comments:

  1. This soup looks great garnished & served in such a lovely bowl! :) (I had to look up "pattypan" as I wasn't sure what it was -- turns out I've seen this type of squash before, guess I just never knew that's what it's called, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I don't think the pattypans are meant to get as big as mine have grown, but you turn your back for 5 minutes and its like they double in size! :o)

      Delete
  2. Wow you've filled the freezer already? How did you ever manage before lol!

    I'm so impressed with all the recipes you're managing to post this month. It's truly incredible!

    This soup looks so beautiful & creamy ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How on earth did I cope without one! Its hard work thinking of a different recipe each day but it keeps me on my toes. I should have been more organised and created some recipes before the start but I wasn't LOL! Its good fun though! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x