Sunday 14 June 2015

Quick & Easy Sausage Casserole

I really don't know what's happening with this weather! We finally managed to get a week of the sun coming out albeit still a little cold. So, I started wearing my summer wardrobe and went bare legged for the first time this year, and yes on some days I wish I hadn't I was freezing. But I figured we're in June and soon the longest day will be upon us and I thought the dresses need to come out of the closet sometime! But wait Saturday was so darn miserable, it rained constantly all day and the temperature dropped I don't think I've ever been this cold in June. 

I needed some comfort food, and I needed it to be quick and easy as I had a lot on. So I gave myself 40 minutes to come up with something comforting and healthy. This recipe worked a treat, packed full of veggies and it really can be on the table in under 40 minutes and that's including all the prep. Yay!

Ingredients - Serves 4 people

6 Vegan sausages ( I used Linda McCartney sausages) 
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Onion, diced
2 Sticks celery, diced
100g Broccoli, cut into small florets
½ Red pepper, cut into strips
½ Yellow pepper, cut into strips
3 Cloves of garlic, minced
2 Sprigs rosemary, finely cut
4 Sprigs thyme, stalks removed
1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
150g Mushrooms, diced2 Tsp Smoked paprika
1 Tbsp Flour
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
500ml Vegetable stock

Method

Turn on your oven to a medium temperature.

Prepare all your vegetables.

Place the vegan sausages in an oven proof dish and place in the oven, while you cook your vegetables, around 20 minutes.

Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and heat before adding the onion and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.

Add the broccoli and sauté for another two minute, stirring all the time. Add the peppers and sauté for another 3 minutes.

Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and stir to combine, then add the balsamic vinegar. Continue  to sauté the vegetables and herbs for another minute stirring all the time.

Add the chopped mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their liquid into the vegetable mix.

Add the smoked paprika and stir to combine. Add the flour and stir to combine, the mixture will become quite stiff as the flour soaks up whatever vegetable juices are in the pan. Sauté for 1 more minute to cook out the flour.

Add the chopped tomatoes and stir through, the mixture will still be very thick. Add the vegetable stock a little at a time, stirring all the time and bring the mixture up to a boil. The mixture will now be a lot thinner.

Remove the sausages from the oven and cut each sausage in half. Add the halved sausages to the pan and reduce the heat so the mixture is simmering.

Cook for a further 10 minutes to thicken the sauce before serving.

Serve in bowls with a garnish of chopped chives for a warm and comforting klunch or serve with mash potato and more vegetables for a hearty dinner.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x