Wednesday 4 November 2015

Chikas Review

Some time ago now I was sent three Chikas products to review and I've held off my post as I wanted to make a peanut stew with one of the products. After a lazy weekend fighting off my cold and actually getting creative in the kitchen I'm ready to share my review with you, finally! But first what did they send me:
  • West African Peanuts
  • Plantain Crisps
  • Smoked Almonds
Chika's website is extremely informative and she advises that she "set out to create something that was defined by more that just a delicious product". Chika wanted us to "experience a journey to a beautiful and exotic part of the world" that is close to her heart.

Smoked Almonds

My favourite item without a shadow of doubt was the packet of smoked almonds! I love almonds and the flavour of these nuts were heavenly, they were absolutely gorgeous. As you can imagine they didn't last long! 

They had just enough coating without being overpowering. You could taste the smoked paprika and a hint of heat came through with the black pepper.

Chika doesn't use any artificial flavouring or colouring and these smoked almonds are a great source of protein and vitamin E.

Ingredients:
Almonds, rapeseed oil, salt, dextrose, rice flour, sugar, yeast powder, yeast extract powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoke flavouring, paprika and citric acid.

Plantain Crisps

I've only ever tried plantain once before and that was at the West Midlands Vegan Festival last year! It was served with a chick pea curry and callaloo and I really enjoyed it!


I couldn't wait to try the plantain crisps as I hadn't eaten plantain since the vegan festival. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't what I tasted. Don't get me wrong they were tasty! 

Plantains are naturally sweet which hadn't come across in the meal above (or my memory has let me down) probably as it was served with curry. The plantain crisps were crunchy like you would expect, sweet and savoury thanks to the sprinkling of salt. The ingredients list contained three items that's all! Plantain, sunflower oil and salt so you definitely know what you are getting here.


Chika also makes plantain crisps that have a hint of chilli and I think I would prefer them, they still only have four ingredients the same as above with the addition of chilli.

West African Peanuts

The packet I received had the skins on but you can buy them without skins. The skins don't bother me in the slightest though, in fact you get an extra dosage of antioxidents.

I'm not a massive fan of peanuts but this little packet changed my mind. I loved them, it was so hard not to eat the entire packet there and then, but I'd promised myself I would turn them into a peanut curry one night!

Chika advises that these nuts are dried under the African sun before hand toasting over a wood fire, no oil is used in the toasting process. Chika goes on to say most roasted nuts on the market use oil perhaps this is whay I favoured these nuts to any other? 

Chika says that their distinctive and rich flavour is down to the way they are made. A massive thumbs up for these nuts from me!

Chika has other products too including chick pea crisps and black pepper cashews which I'd love to try.

Jasmine x

2 comments:

  1. i've heard of Chika's but have yet to try their products, be lucky if I find any around here though. I do love savoury nibbles to sweet any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Although I am becoming a chocolate monster! Time to reign in the sugar! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x