Friday 8 January 2016

Adzuki Bean Curry - I Love Leftovers

Now, I don't know about you but I absolutely loathe food waste. Its just down right ridiculous, food is precious so I try not to throw any away although mishaps do happen. Like when I forget something in the back of my fridge and it wouldn't do me any good to eat it! But this is rare, very rare. 

It helps to plan what you're going to eat over the coming week, which I try and do. However, there are times when you have left overs and the odd vegetable in your fridge and you need to come up with a plan. Soup is always a good one, with a few herbs and spices you can make wonderful soups out of left overs. I've made soup with left over ingredients lots of times like the pea, spring onion and mint soup. I've also turned leftover soup into a curry, like my curry in a hurry recipe.

Today I'm showing you again how I've turned leftovers into another meal, most of the time my leftover creations actually double up in portions, which is even better. Remember my lentil stew from last Friday well that also turned into a curry and a delicious one at that, it must be a combination of all those wonderful spices! In making this recipe I also used up some leftover Christmas vegetables, bonus! Here's what I did

Ingredients - Serves 4
2 Portions of Lentil Stew 
1 Potato
2 Parsnips
¼ Red cabbage
2 Tsp Curry powder
2 Tsp Ground cumin
1 Tsp Chilli powder
½ Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Oil
130ml Coconut milk

Method
1) Cut the potato and parsnips into chunks and put in a bowl with 1Tsp curry powder, 1 Tsp ground cumin and the oil. Mix to coat the vegetables and place into an oven tray and roast for 20 minutes. By the time the vegetable have finished roasting you will be ready to add them to the curry.

2) Shred the cabbage and cut into chunks. Add to a saucepan with a little water and simmer for 5 minutes, drain, squeezing out as much water as you can.

3) Pour the two portions of lentil stew into a saucepan and add the other tsp of curry powder and ground cumin and also add the chilli powder and turmeric. Stir to combine and place over a low heat, stirring occasionally.

4) While the curry is heating through pour in the coconut milk and stir to combine and bring to a simmer.

5) Add the drained cabbage and stir through.

6) Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and add to the curry. Stir again so everything is incorporated and serve in bowls or with rice or poppadoms.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x