Saturday 9 January 2016

Cheezy Cauliflower Soup

The day started well with the sun shining and once again it is very mild for this time of the year. Marco and I went out for our daily stroll, it was that warm I considered taking my coat off! We passed the allotments but my plot is still very water logged so decided to leave digging up the parsnips and leeks till another day. I hope they'll be OK! By the time we finished our walk about an hour and a half later the skies had gone black and it had started to rain, so much for the sun coming out to say hello!

By the time we'd got dried off the heavens had opened and it was pouring down, yet another dark, dank, miserable afternoon ahead. So, I decided to make some sunshine in the kitchen instead! I haven't been shopping since before Christmas, and the cupboards and fridge are getting rather bare. But nothing goes to waste in this household, so I opened the fridge door to see what treasures I could find or more correctly what needed using up ASAP!

Sitting in pride of place was a dirty, tired looking cauliflower, that had seen better days! It was crying out to be used so I reached in and plucked it from the shelf, turning it round and round wandering what I could turn it into. I glanced outside and immediately thought it's weather for soup!

Ingredients
1 Cauliflower
750ml Vegetable stock
3 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
2 Tsp White miso
1 Tsp American mustard
1 Tsp Garlic powder
1 Tsp Lemon juice
¼ Tsp Turmeric
Salt & Pepper to taste

Method
1) Cut the cauliflower in half and then each half into 3 pieces

2) Pour 300ml of the vegetable stock into a saucepan and add the cauliflower.

3) Simmer the cauliflower for 10 minutes until al dente.

4) Pour the contents of the saucepan into a liquidizer or food processor, I used my trusty Vitamix. 

5) Add the rest of the ingredients to the remaining vegetable stock and pour over the cauliflower. Blend until you have a smooth and glossy soup.

6) Serve in bowls and sprinkle with black pepper and parsley, perfect for dunking crusty bread into.



Perfect lunch for the dark, dank and miserable weather we are getting at the moment. I don't know about you but dunking crusty bread into comforting soup is one of lifes little pleasures!

Jasmine x


2 comments:

  1. I love this kind of cheesey soup. I make versions with onion and with broccoli too and chuck a handful of cashews into the Vitamix for extra creaminess. Definitely perfect soup for this weather. Hope your parsnips and leeks will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely cashews to make soups creamy! Allotment still water logged! Lol :o)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x