Monday 16 September 2013

Mac 'n' Cheese Monday - Yellow Peppers

Summer is finally over boo hoo, the weather has turned and we are now experiencing rain, wind and colder temperatures. I'm trying to hold off with turning on the heating though, so more jumpers and more comfort food required!

The ultimate comfort food in my book is a "Mac 'n' Cheese" recipe, although I very rarely use macaroni pasta, its normally spirals!

Today's recipe for Mac 'n' Cheese was created using yellow ingredients to see if I could replicate the colour and taste of cheese. A hard call but I think it paid off. You'll have to let me know what you think.

Ingredients

15g Cashew nuts 
60g Ground almonds
1 Yellow pepper
2 Tbsp White miso
25g Nutritional yeast
150ml Almond milk
¼ Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp English mustard
150g Runner beans
140g Dried pasta of choice

Method 2-3 servings

Add the cashew nuts to a blender and process until they resemble fine bread crumbs. I haven't got a vitamix or anything as snazzy (I'm saving up for it) so my food processor won't turn the nuts into a paste, but it doesn't matter if yours does, it would be better.

Meanwhile quarter the yellow pepper and put under the grill skin side facing up. Grill until the skin is blackened and put in a plastic bag for a few minutes. Remove and peel off the skin and chop the yellow pepper flesh.

Next add the ground almonds, yellow pepper flesh, white miso, nutritional yeast, almond milk, turmeric and mustard to the food processor and turn on the machine. Let it process the ingredients for a while until you have a smooth and silky sauce. 



Meanwhile cook your pasta shapes in boiling water for 10 minutes or as per the packet instructions. Top and tail the runner beans and slice into 5cm widths. With 5 minutes cooking time remaining add the runner beans to the pasta.

Drain your pasta and beans and add the sauce from the food processor to the pan and gently heat through. Add the pasta and mushrooms and stir through the sauce. Serve straight away.



I'm ashamed to say this but I have eaten every last bit! It tasted that good. What a fat piglet I am! If you have any left overs, you will need to add a touch more almond milk before heating as the pasta soaks up the sauce.


6 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, it was just what I needed on a cold and damp night!

      Delete
  2. I can never get over how many variations of vegan mac and cheese there are! Yours looks so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever made it twice the same! I'm always using different ingredients, whatever I have on hand really. This one however was really creamy and I'll definitely being making this version again :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh I love the idea of putting yellow capsicum in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great to replicate the colour of cheese! Hope you're enjoying your travels :)
    Jasmine x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x